Committee on Information Technology - October 27, 2017 - Minutes

Meeting Date: 
October 27, 2017 - 10:30am
United States

Friday, October 27, 2017
10:30 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
1 Dr. Carlton B. Goodlett Place
City Hall, Room 305

Naomi Kelly, City Administrator, Chair
Linda Gerull, Chief Information Officer, Department of Technology
Melissa Whitehouse, Budget Director, Mayor’s Office
London Breed, President, San Francisco Board of Supervisors
Ben Rosenfield, Controller
Micki Callahan, Director, Department of Human Resources
Barbara Garcia, Director, Department of Public Health
Luis Herrera, City Librarian, Public Library
Harlan L. Kelly, Jr., General Manager, Public Utilities Commission
Anne Kronenberg, Director, Department of Emergency Management
Ivar Satero, Director, San Francisco International Airport
Edward D. Reiskin, Director, Municipal Transportation Agency
Trent Rhorer, Executive Director, Human Services Agency
Charles Belle, Public Member
Alex Polvi, Public Member
1. Call To Order

Ms. Naomi Kelly called the meeting to order at 10:34 a.m.

2. Roll Call
Members Present:
Naomi Kelly
Linda Gerull
Melissa Whitehouse
Kayleigh Lloyd (for London Breed)
Chanda Ikeda (for Micki Callahan)
Jeff Jorgenson (for Barbara Garcia)
Kate Wingerson (for Luis Herrera)
Ken Salmon (for Harlan Kelly)
Mitch Sutton (for Anne Kronenberg)
Ian Law (for Ivar Satero)
Sean Cunningham (for Ed Reiskin)
Dan Kalamaras (for Trent Rhorer)
Charles Belle

COIT Staff:
Jacalyn Mah
Lily Liang
Matthias Jaime

Guests Present:
Joy Bonaguro
Dee Prasad
Jackson Muhirwe
Dale Riley
Brad Baker
Joseph Le
Terry Lawrence
Rand Miyashiro
Natalie Toledo
Daniel Tse
Vincent Kwan
Jeff Jennings
Susan Merritt
Krista Canellakis
Alyssa Ventre
Nelson Ho
David German
Cedric Lowe
Scott Hulse
Andy Velazquez
Gary Price
Ken Bukowski

3. Approval of Meeting Minutes from September 21, 2017 (Action Item)

The minutes of September 21, 2017 were approved.

4. Chair Update

Ms. Kelly welcomed COIT’s new Budget and Performance Analyst, Ms. Jacalyn Mah, to the City.

Ms. Kelly also made announcements regarding the Mayor’s Office of Civic Innovation’s Startup in Residence (STIR) program and the Office of Contract Administration’s ongoing STIR project.
5. CIO Update

Ms. Linda Gerull remarked on recent Department of Technology (DT) initiatives as well as the status of ongoing DT projects with City-wide impact. Notably, Ms. Gerull discussed recruitment for the City’s next Chief Information Security Officer, facility moves in progress, broadband/connectivity efforts, launch of a help desk forum, Office 365 and mainframe migrations/upgrades, and more.

6. Program Update: DataScienceSF

Ms. Joy Bonaguro provided an overview of DataScienceSF, the Open Data Office’s newest program, and detailed the application process for departments interested in participating. In addition, Ms. Bonaguro reviewed past participants’ projects and successes, and noted upcoming brown bags and office hours.

To view the full presentation, please visit

7. Policy Discussion: Data Classification Standard (Action Item)

Ms. Bonaguro presented an overview of the proposed standard, the drafting and development process, its purpose, and impact of implementation.

A general discussion followed in which members discussed local ordinances and legislation in relation to the standard as well as variations in levels of protected data.

A motion to adopt the standard was passed and approved.

To obtain a copy of the standard, please visit

8. Program Update: City Cybersecurity Office Strategic Goals and Roadmap

Mr. Jackson Muhirwe provided an overview of DT’s strategic plan and detailed cybersecurity initiatives with City-wide impact as well as those specific to DT. Notably, he discussed education and outreach efforts, DT’s new cybersecurity website and resources, proactive efforts to identify threats and prevent breaches, network monitoring and incident detection tools, interdepartmental working groups, and policies in the pipeline.

Mr. Muhirwe also noted that October is Cybersecurity Awareness Month and encouraged all departments to participate in DT-sponsored cybersecurity events and roundtables.

9. Policy Discussion: Cybersecurity Training and Awareness Standard (Action Item)

Ms. Gerull provided an overview of the proposed standard, its purpose, underlying drivers, risks, goals, and staff roles and responsibilities.

A general discussion followed regarding funding, record-keeping, training logistics, and integration with other systems.

A motion to adopt the standard was passed and approved.

To obtain a copy of the standard, please visit

10. Public Comment

There was no public comment.

11. Adjournment

The meeting adjourned at 11:34 a.m.